| Support for foreign residents | Bureau of Citizens and Cultural Affairs
- Top page>
- Support for foreign residents>
- Disaster prevention drills for assistance of foreign nationals
Disaster prevention drills for assistance of foreign nationals
Each year, the Bureau of Citizens and Cultural Affairs of the Tokyo Metropolitan Government conducts a disaster prevention drill to assist foreign nationals.
This training is intended to help foreign nationals who reside in Tokyo gain knowledge of disaster preparedness through hands-on experience and to encourage them to be physically and mentally prepared for disasters. At the same time, the training is designed to develop the skills of Tokyo Metropolitan Disaster Language Volunteer Interpreters and reinforce collaboration between the Tokyo Metropolitan Government and concerned organizations.
*Who are the “Tokyo Metropolitan Disaster Language Volunteer Interpreters”?
They are volunteers who use their foreign language skills to assist foreign nationals when an earthquake or other major disaster occurs in Tokyo.
Main training program
The specific content of activities varies from year to year; however, the main activities are as follows:
- Learning how to obtain disaster-related knowledge and information and means for confirming the safety of others (for participating foreign nationals)
- Practice of emergency responses such as first aid and initial firefighting (for participating foreign nationals)
- Translation and interpreting training (for Tokyo Metropolitan Disaster Language Volunteer Interpreters)
Record of past drills
The following table provides a list of recent drills. The schedule for future drills will be provided through the Tokyo Metropolitan Government's official website and other media when it becomes available.
|Fiscal year (FY)||Date||Main venue|
|2014||Tuesday, January 27, 2015||Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium (Sumida Ward)|
|2015||Tuesday, January 26, 2016||Tokyo Metropolitan Gymnasium (Shibuya Ward)|
|2016||Friday, January 20, 2017||Komazawa Olympic Park General Sports Ground (Seragaya Ward)|
- Experiencing the shaking of a major earthquake in an earthquake simulation vehicle
- Learning how to give first aid treatment to neighbors when disaster strikes
- Initial firefighting using a household fire extinguisher
- Training on handling telephone inquiries from foreign nationals during a disaster (Tokyo Metropolitan Disaster Language Volunteers)